opencv stuff now on github

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sun Oct 11 01:23:16 EDT 2009

Hi Chris

2009/10/10 Chris Colbert <sccolbert at gmail.com>:
> I've made a fork on github to work on the opencv stuff:
>
> http://github.com/sccolbert/scikits.image
>
> I've also made a pull request to Stefan so the initial stuff will be
> available in the trunk.

Thanks, things are progressing really well!

As always, I'd like to do a round of review before integrating the
code.  Standard disclaimer: my comments are just my opinions, so feel
free to say if you disagree.  OK, here goes:

- Instead of trying to load a .dll or .so yourself, make use of
numpy's np.ctypeslib.load_library.  If might also be a good time to
document that function (please!).  For example, see line 16 of

http://dip.sun.ac.za/~stefan/code/supreme.git/?p=stefan/supreme.git;a=blob;f=supreme/ext/libsupreme.py;h=82d4317033e283ce12f83ddbabb28641fb541b74;hb=HEAD

- I saw the comment that you'd like to find a better way to match
types in numpy and openCV, but really I think your dictionary is just
fine.

- Just to clarify things in my own mind: In opencv_type.pxd, you say
that you reimplement the _IplImage type.  Is this basically a direct
copy from the IplImage.h header file?  I guess you had to redefine ROI
and maskROI to point to void?

I'd be very happy to integrate this branch as soon as there are some
tests (to make sure the round-tripping of ndarray -> IplImage ->
ndarray works, for example).  You'll have to make sure that the tests
are marked for skipping if opencv is not available.  Also, could you
document the OpenCV wrappers (like cvSmooth) to have a pointer to the
online OpenCV docs?  That would help users to get up and running
quickly!

Finally, we'll have to figure out a way to load libopencv.so even if
it is installed in standard locations (e.g., on the different Linux
distros such as Debian).

Keep up the good work!

Cheers