OpenCV Calibration Wrapping - Some questions

SirVer sirver at gmx.de
Thu Oct 15 07:50:29 EDT 2009

I just mentioned some hours ago that I wanted to have the OpenCV
calibration tools at my fingertips. Well, I decided to give it a go
myself and started by wrapping cvFindChessboard and cvDrawChessboard.
This already took a while since I am not very familiar with cython
(yet?); nevertheless I pushed a github branch - I hope I did
everything correctly, I was working the first time with git. You can
find the branch here:
http://github.com/SirVer/scikits.image/network

I also send you a merge request.

Some questions remain for me though:
1) Where do convenience wrappers go?
The OpenCv is terrible to use. I'd like to offer a more Pythonic
interface to the stuff I am currently wrapping. An Example would be an
ImageUndistorter class that would offer a single interface to
undistort multiple Images in a Row. Where should this go? obviously
into the opencv module, but how should this module be sorted?

2) Utility scripts
I'd like to contribute my camcalib script which I wrote for intrinsic
calibration of monoscopic cameras. I wrapped the opencv with Ctypes
for that; obviously I will first add the needed functions to the
current opencv wrapper. The first question here is were do those
scripts live so that the user can easily start them as soon as the
scikit is installed?

3) GUI dependency.
I use Pyqt for all my image processing tools because it is very fast
(200 fps is no problem to display) and because it is very convenient.
I feel that a image scikit should provide some GUI functionality (what
good is image processing without seeing images?) and I would urge to
investigate PyQt. With this question, I just want to get the ball
rolling; I feel the discussing of wether GUI tools are wanted or not
and which toolkit to use or not might be crucial for the evolution of
the image scikit.

Cheers,
Holger