[SciPy-User] How to create multi-page tiff files with python tools?

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Sep 29 20:59:16 EDT 2009

On 29-Sep-09, at 2:24 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Sebastian Haase
> <seb.haase at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> Hi Sebastian, this is very useful functionality for me as well.
>
> The question I have is if your patched PIL includes fixes for 16-bit
> images.
> Right now I'm using a patched PIL kindly provided to me by Zachary
> Pincus
> that fixes 16-bit issues. I saw that some improvements for 16-bit were
> included in PIL trunk but not his patches. Your patch is included it
> seems,
> so I could also run PIL trunk if someone can confirm that 16-bit TIF
> images
> work. I'd prefer Priithon though because then I could stop asking my
> users
> to compile PIL themselves...

I've been following this discussion somewhat and I wanted to point out
that (as far as I can remember) image I/O free of PIL dependence was
one of the stated goals of the image scikit. I'm not sure much
progress has been made on that front yet.

It seems that common requirements not being met by PIL are
a) full support for multipage TIFF (loading, creating, saving)
b) 16-bit multipage TIFF

Rather than monkeypatching PIL four ways from Sunday, maybe it would
be best to direct efforts towards building a PIL-free alternative?
Incorporation of very specific code from PIL shouldn't be an issue
given that PIL is quite liberally licensed.

David

(P.S. I'm CCing the scikits-image list as well, should you want to
join it, etc.)