[SciPy-User] FreeImage <-> numpy IO wrappers

Thouis (Ray) Jones thouis at broadinstitute.org
Thu May 13 12:00:33 EDT 2010

2010/5/13 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>:
> [...]
> I converted your wrappers to plugins for scikits.image.  At the
> moment, it still segfaults---could you help me to iron out the
> problems?

(I mentioned this to Zach, but it may be of general interest to the
imaging scikit developers as well, as another source of useful format
information, if nothing else...)

On a related note, we've been collaborating with the Bio-Formats
project (http://www.loci.wisc.edu/software/bio-formats), and we have a
wrapper for their library in CellProfiler (but it's not too difficult
to use separately).  This is probably *not* something for the majority
of people, since it requires using a Java JNI wrapper (written in
Cython).  And using it to save images on the Mac is risky in GUI
applications.

Examining the bio-formats code can be useful when writing new format
parsers, as well.

Best,
Ray