RFR: Image-collection reader

Maël Primet mael.primet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 13:19:10 EDT 2010

This is a good idea, and image sequences will definitely be useful for
movies. However, I'm not sure that scivi should be a gwenview-like "gallery"
image viewer, but rather a scientific visualization toolkit.. I'd
 definitely  want movie sequences to be handled (as a sequence of  image
 files, not necessarily .avi, but we could have script to convert  from/to
), but I  don't  really see how the "gallery of images" feature might be
useful?

On the contrary, something that might be useful is this:
often when doing experiments, you try lots of parameters on the same image,
and you have a metric for the result. Say for instance, that you have 2
parameters taking values in [0,1]² and you have a metric taking values in
[0,1], then you could sample points in the grid, use your algorithm with the
sampled parameters, and show the grid as dots (position: parameters,
color/size is metric) and when clicking on the dot, it might show the
corresponding filtered image. This might prove nice for algorithm
exploration