RFR: IO cleanup

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Sun Nov 7 09:19:36 EST 2010

Just an informational comment on this (I'm not involved enough
to expect a "vote", but I can probably speak for a segment of
the community):

In astronomy we mainly use float32 (as well as int16). That's
usually precise enough and we work with quite large images (eg.
100Mb/file times N), so the additional storage requirements of
float64 would be significant. From my viewpoint, it's good for
any processing step to preserve the data type of the input
unless there's a specification to the contrary. Maybe one can
cast the output back to 32 though, as long as there wasn't a
division by very small values (that does happen sometimes).

Cheers,

James.