denoising algorithms

Emmanuelle Gouillart emmanuelle.gouillart at normalesup.org
Sat Oct 30 17:56:39 EDT 2010

	Hi Mael,

	thanks for all these contributions!

	I had a look at the new filters. I added some documentation to
the existing docstrings
(http://github.com/emmanuelle/scikits.image/commits/denoise), could you
please check that I didn't write anything wrong? I'm planning to add
tests for these denoising functions in the next few days. After the code
is fully tested, I think it will be time to start to start a new branch,
cherry-pick the commits corresponding to the denoising algorithms only,
rebase... and ask for a merge. It's important to make sure that your work
can be re-used into the main branch. As you seem to have plenty of new
stuff (the viewer for example) to keep you busy, I can take care of this
refactoring if you like.

	Concerning the tutorial, I couldn't make the demos run. I
understood that Mathjax had to be installed, but the installation
instructions of Mathjax did not appear very clear to me, so I did not
really know where I should put it. So I guess I will also wait for some
documentation from your side. The idea of an interactive tutorial that
explains the algorithms and let the user execute some demo is really
cool, however! Do you plan to have the tutorial on a single web server,
or that users run it on their own computer? In the first case, you may
use any kind of top-notch not-so-standard software such as Mathjax, but
if every user has to install it, it will be more of a problem... In any
case, I'm eager to know more about this tutorial project!

	Finally, for the viewer, I had to make a small addition to the
setup.py to install the package (see my comment on github, I needed to
specify the location of numpy headers). I was glad to see that you were
able to code some of the features that Lionel and you really need, such
as being able to flip between two images, or representing the level lines
of an image. However, I know almost nothing about visualization, so I'm
afraid I don't have very constructive comments about the viewer. Maybe
just one remark: as a lot of scientists work interactively within the
Python shell, e.g. Ipython, it is important that calls to the viewer are
not blocking, i.e., that the user gets the prompt back.

	Cheers,

	Emmanuelle