contributing C/Cython code to the scikit

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Mon Sep 20 16:37:42 EDT 2010

Hi Mael

Welcome!

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 7:02 PM, mael <mael.primet at gmail.com> wrote:
> here is a first code draft, including two basic filters
>  http://github.com/maelp/scikits.image

First feedback: be sure to update the contributors.txt.  We won't
accept patches without it :)

> could you tell me if the way I started it seems okay  with
>  you? (eg I've been hacking in some files to have everything compile..
> am I doing it as it should be done?)

Some general comments:

- We follow PEP7 and 8 regarding code style
- Docstrings with usable examples are really important. We have a
"plot" directive for including those in the docs as well.
- Unit tests should be included in the standard test suite.  All
functions, including utility functions, should be tested and
documented.
- The 'shapes' sub-module is included twice?
- Your patch removes the 'opencv' module for some reason.

At the last sprint, we briefly spoke about how to handle different
data types.  IIRC, the idea was to support float and integer arrays,
and to write a general utility function, used by most other functions,
to convert the input image appropriately.  This isn't in place yet, so
we'll leave that discussion for another day.

Thanks again for contributing!

Regards