convex hull of a 2D binary image

Chris Colbert sccolbert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 12:24:47 EDT 2011

So, there are a couple of ways you could do that. One is by using
structuring elements as indicated in G & W. Another way would be to take a
3D method like described here in the surface approximation section
(shameless plug):
http://confactsdatas.inrialpes.fr/IEEE_RSJ_-_IROS_2010_International_Conference_on_Intelligent_Robots_and_Systems___Conference/data/papers/0389.pdf

and adapt it for 2D.

There is nothing in scikits.image that will do this automatically, but it
would be a useful feature so I'll add it to my TODO list.

Chris