Usage of and relationship to OpenCV

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Mon Aug 29 05:25:06 EDT 2011

Hi all,

After merging the GSoC contributions, I think we're in good shape for
a next release.  Before we get there, however, I'd like to ask your
opinions.

Should we declare OpenCV a dependency?  There are two sides to this:
1) I want to stop focusing on optimising low-level routines, and
instead implement interesting algorithms but 2) OpenCV is quite a big
dependency (although it does run on Windows, Linux, Mac etc, comes
with built binaries in all of them, and has a permissive BSD license).

Fact is, our manpower is limited, so we should focus on where we can
make a difference.  My aim is to provide an excellent image processing
toolbox for Python that at least covers the MATLAB functionality and
more, and to reach that goal with our limited manpower, we need to
carefully pick our strategy.

I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.

Regards