skeletonize question

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Mon Dec 12 18:34:01 EST 2011

Hi TJ

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM, karoyakani <tj.takei at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to this mailing list.

Welcome!  We're glad to have you.

> skimage version 0.4.2 has morphology.skeletonize() that works almost
> as good as Matlab bwmorph('thin').

We'd certainly love to remedy that...

> However the output seems transposed when I tested a Matlab's example
> image 'circles.png':
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/images/ref/bwmorph.html
> Is this a bug?

In order to reproduce this bug, I've put a repo online with your code:

https://github.com/stefanv/skimage_circles

Here is the output I get:

http://mentat.za.net/refer/skeletonize_compare.png

(Before running the experiment, run fetch_data to download the matlab
test image; or just grab it by hand from their website.  I don't know
what the license is, so I didn't want to put it in the repo directly.)

I am glad you showed me this example, because it also pointed out a
problem with paletted image reading in PIL.  I'm seriously considering
just making matplotlib our default backend (except that they also have
a PNG reading bug in older versions where images are flipped upside
down!).

Regards