FreeImage_GetPitch not found (on Win7 x64)

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Mon May 16 08:08:08 EDT 2011

Hi Dan,

> I see there has been some recent activity on Windows issues in the
> last few days, but I didn't see anything exactly related to this
> issue, so I opened ticket:
> https://github.com/stefanv/scikits.image/issues/22 (I only mention
> this because I don't know if anyone besides Stefan gets notified when
> an issue is created). The traceback and other details are in the issue
> on github.
>
> I tried manually loading FreeImage.dll using ctypes in an ipython
> session and had the same issue, checking FreeImage's header file shows
> that the function should be there though. Anyone have any ideas on
> what else I can try?

I suspect it's not just FreeImage_GetPitch that isn't visible, but all FreeImage_ API calls. (You could check this easily enough though...) I think GetPitch is just the first one that gets looked up.

My guess is that the library on Win7 has different name mangling than is expected. I think that in general the library gets loaded as a "cdll" instead of a "windll" on windows, which appears to work with my limited testing on a XP 32-bit virtual machine. Perhaps try loading the library as a windll via ctypes and then see if any of the symbols are visible.

Or you could dump the dll's symbol table and see what's there... (MinGW has some tools for this -- pexports I think? I bet there are MS tools for the same as part of VC++ but I have no idea.)

Sorry to not be more direct help,
Zach