Skeletonization

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Fri Oct 14 15:00:40 EDT 2011

Hi Neil

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Neil Yager <yager.neil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting - that's a very nice implementation. It's actually faster
> than mine. However, it's tough to do a direct comparison because they
> are doing different things. The existing code is closer to a medial
> axis transform, while my implementation is a more generic thinning
> algorithm. What you prefer will depend on the application. I've
> included a document imaging example that is a black and white image of
> text characters (it is one of the unit tests). The existing code
> creates lots of spurs and wiggly lines, while my code creates smoother
> output, which is better for OCR. However, I'm sure there are
> applications where the opposite is true. There's a case to be made for
> including both.

Could you maybe show us the output of some examples using both
algorithms?  It would be nice to do a first round of visual comparison
on some handwriting (text) and maybe something like the bone example
in Gonzales & Woods:

http://www.imageprocessingplace.com/DIP-3E/dip3e_book_images_downloads.htm
(Chapter 11, image "leg_bone")

Regards