Progress towards the next release

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 09:53:03 EDT 2011

2011/8/30 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>

> Also, we need a new logo for the website--I know someone must be able
> to draw prettier pictures than me, so don't be shy!

I wanted to take a stab at putting together a logo. The basic idea I had was
to combine the scipy logo with some image processing.

I chose an edge filter (Sobel) as the image processing step. As for the
image, a snake was an obvious choice (I picked a public domain image from
pixabay <http://pixabay.com/en/snake-green-toxic-close-yellow-3237/>). I
also, played around with the Lena image, since it's such a common example in
image processing.

I'm still playing around with colors and levels---as you can see in the
first attachment (demo_array). Also, I've attached some mock-ups of a banner
using the logo (demos 1 & 2). demo_2 is in reference to the package
rename<http://groups.google.com/group/scikits-image/browse_frm/thread/4dcc55906a9328e9>discussion.
(Somewhat identifiable with scikits.image and pronounceable; I'm
not sure if I like the way it looks in print, though.)

Best,
-Tony

P.S. if you'd like to play around with this yourself, let me know and I'll
send you the code used to generate the logo.