Stable vs Dev version, document image enhancement

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:37:32 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Parand Darugar <darugar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> Installation steps:
>
> This is on OS X 10.8.2, Python 2.7.2:
>
> - I setup a virtualenv and activated that virtual env.
> - I cloned the scikit-image git repository
> - I installed:
>
> $ python ./setup.py install
> Installed
> /Users/parand/Projects/Receipts/pyenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/scikit_image-0.8dev-py2.7-macosx-10.8-intel.egg
> Processing dependencies for scikit-image==0.8dev
> Finished processing dependencies for scikit-image==0.8dev
>
> $ python
> Python 2.7.2 (default, Jun 20 2012, 16:23:33)
> [GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple Clang 4.0 (tags/Apple/clang-418.0.60)] on
> darwin
> '0.8dev'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "skimage/filter/__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
>     from .ctmf import median_filter
>   File "skimage/filter/ctmf.py", line 15, in <module>
>     from . import _ctmf
> ImportError: cannot import name _ctmf
>
> Best,
>
> Parand

Hi Parand,

If those commands are exactly as you copied them above, it looks like
you're running the python interpreter from within the root scikit-image
directory. Since python prepends the path of the working directory to the
python path, you're actually importing the skimage package from that
directory---not the one you just installed (i.e. the one in site-packages).
You can check which you're running with:

    python -c 'import skimage; print skimage.__file__'

If you move up one directory and then start the python interpreter, does
the rank import work?

Best,
-Tony