Documentation sprint over the weekend

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 10:07:33 EST 2012

2012/2/2 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>

> Hi all,
>
> For release 0.5 I'd like to have a good User Guide available for skimage.
>  I'm going to start writing it this weekend, so if you have some spare
> cycles to contribute, that'd be much appreciated!
>
> Also, have a look at the updated web front page <http://skimage.org>(thanks, Tony!).
>
> Regards
> Stéfan

Hmm, I'm not sure I really deserve the credit for the front page, but
thanks!

I should have a little bit of free time to work on the docs this weekend.
Any specific goals?

One thing I'd like to see is a package docstring listing all subpackages (+
1-sentence descriptions of those subpackages; e.g. type `np?` in ipython);
and then each subpackage would have it's own docstring listing of functions
(e.g. type `numpy.linalg?` in ipython). I guess this is separate from the
user guide, but it's still really valuable for learning the package.

While we're talking about release 0.5, I think we should try to clean out a
number of pull requests. Some of them should be quick:

PR 99 <https://github.com/scikits-image/scikits-image/pull/99>: Rewrite
dtype._convert function
    There is a comment at the end of this PR suggesting we clip when
converting int to uint, but maybe we should just merge this PR and add the
clipping change as a new PR. In fact, if there are no objections by
tomorrow, I'm just going to merge the PR as is. (No promises that I'll
submit a PR for the clipping change.)

PR 105 <https://github.com/scikits-image/scikits-image/pull/105>: ENH:
Allow choice between 4 and 8 neighbor mode.
    I was waiting for a response to a few suggested changes, but they are
relatively minor, so this could be merged as is.

PR 95 <https://github.com/scikits-image/scikits-image/pull/95>:
debian/control updates to reflect name space transition
   This seems like a really simple change, but since I don't really
use/know-anything-about Debian, I'm hesitant to be the one to merge.

PR 107 <https://github.com/scikits-image/scikits-image/pull/107>: Add
rescale_intensity function with test and example.
   Stefan: you mentioned you wanted to send a PR to this branch. If it was
an involved change, we should hold off until a later date.

I'm not so certain about the others.

Cheers,
-Tony