Dependency versions

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 10:40:49 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

I'd like to start a discussion on how to handle versions of dependencies.
The current docs suggest that we require Numpy
1.4<http://scikits-image.org/docs/dev/install.html>,
but at some point we'd probably want to increment this. In fact, I forgot
that the dtype._convert pull request (PR #99) uses the function
`promote_types` from numpy 1.6. (We need to either bump up the numpy
version now or add a compatibility function.)

In addition, we should add a minimum (optional) version of Matplotlib for
use in examples (this has come up in a few PRs already).

I run most of my scientific software from github, so I have no problem with
running the bleeding edge, but this is certainly more difficult for others.
How do other packages increment versions of dependencies?

Best,
-Tony