FreeImage binaries

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Tue Feb 7 11:44:42 EST 2012

Hey all,

Some conversation on the pythonvision list (about a "simple python image IO library") has suggested to me that perhaps we should consider distributing FreeImage binaries either with skimage, or as a simple add-on package.

For this we'd want an OS X dylib that's at least 32/64-bit, if not a four-way (intel/ppc 32/64). This should be pretty easy for me to make. We'd also want standalone 32- and 64-bit windows DLLs. And should we have anything for linux, or do we assume that those people can get FreeImage compiled manually or via a package manager easily enough?

I could just package these up as "data" in a python module, and then point ctypes at the right lib based on run-time checks. Maybe silly to distribute extra binaries, but that might be the user-friendliest solution? Other feedback welcome of course.

Zach