GUI tools and upsizing

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 17:23:10 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus at yale.edu>wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2012, at 4:17 PM, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Neil Yager <yager.neil at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I agree that there are some benefits of both viewers. However, I work
> >> a lot with 16-bit greyscale, and I like the pan & zoom of the
> >> matplotlib-based viewer. Therefore, I've found myself using the
> >> TIFFFile one more lately. Adding the line profile & some contrast
> >> adjustment to this viewer would be great.
> >
> > If you can improve the matplotlib version of imshow, that would be
> > much appreciated.  Let me know if you need a hand with anything.  The
> > source is in:
> >
> > skimage/io/_plugins/matplotlib_plugin.py
> >
> > Currently it just sets interpolation to 'nearest' and 'cmap' to gray
> > by default (behaviour that is important to keep).
>
> The tifffile one actually seems pretty feature-rich. I'm not sure best how
> to incproprate it into the tifffile skimage plugin, or if maybe it should
> just live side-by-side as another matplotlib plugin.
>
> The problem with having it as a part of the tifffile IO plugin is that the
> plugin.ini file would have to state that it provides an imshow(), but the
> plugin itself would then either have to stub out imshow() if matplotlib
> (required for the tifffile imshow) is not present, or not provide imshow()
> in the first place in this case. Any thoughts?
>
> Zach

I haven't really been following this discussion closely, but the TIFFFile
viewer isn't actually TIFF-specific, is it? If not, it should probably be
either integrated with the matplotlib plugin or set as an optional
interface to matplotlib plugin using a "fancy" parameter (like the one for
the qt plugin).

-Tony