Object detection

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 10:57:20 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus at yale.edu>wrote:

> Hi Siggi,
>
> > like Andy suggested, I need the bonding box for each shear. This should
> represent the diameter in
> > good approximation what leads to the grain size distribution.
>
> In this case I'd also agree with Andy that a template-matching approach
> might be best, with a library of templates of different sizes. Then for
> each template-match peak, determine which size template gives the best
> match, and read out the size distribution from that?
>
> Alternately, you could look at a Hough-circles sort of approach, and again
> could read off the size distribution straight from the Hough-transformed
> image.
>
> Zach

I have a hough-circles implementation (which I've been meaning to
contribute). Unfortunately, my implementation does a pretty poor job when
there's a large range of circle size and when the circles are
close/overlapping. As a result, the output I get for the example image is
not very good. A better implementation may be able to deal with these
issues, though.

-Tony