Imshow and Linescan - first version

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:10:21 EST 2012

2012/2/24 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Guillaume Gay
> <guillaume at mitotic-machine.org> wrote:
> > I forked sckimage on github and pushed the plugin there:
> >

> https://github.com/glyg/scikits-image/blob/master/skimage/io/_plugins/matplotlib_plugin.py
>
> Cute!  I like it.
>
> Stéfan

Hi Guillaume,

Hmm, this is much more interesting than what I expected when you mentioned
a line scan tool. :)

I made a PR to your repo, which I guess you already noticed (and merged)
and I have some more specific comments I want to add to your PR, but I had
some more general thoughts (i.e. probably not stuff that should be
implemented in this PR) that I want to post here:

Plugin system
------
It might be nice to have some sort of plugin system for the image viewer.
That way, tools like this could be implemented a bit more easily and, also,
easily added to the viewer or ignored by the user. I think someone
mentioned on the list that scikits-image should be careful not to stray too
far into GUI tools (I could be completely mis-representing the idea here),
and I agree to an extent. Nevertheless, I think providing a viewer that
supplies *an infrastructure* for creating GUI tools might be really
valuable. I haven't really thought through what this plugin system would
look like, so it may just be a pipe dream.

TIFFFile Viewer
------
There was talk of integrating the viewer from TIFFFile---was the idea to
write a wrapper around the viewer (like Zach did for `imread`/`imsave`) or
to copy it into skimage and modify it. If it's the latter, we should make
sure that Christophe Gohlke is OK with that (Christophe mentioned that it
wouldn't make sense to fork TIFFFile into skimage, but presumably, this
would be different for `tifffile.imshow` since we would likely want to
modify it).

Best,
-Tony