Imshow and Linescan - first version

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sun Feb 26 15:15:53 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Tony Yu <tsyu80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Plugin system
> ------
> It might be nice to have some sort of plugin system for the image viewer.
> That way, tools like this could be implemented a bit more easily and, also,
> easily added to the viewer or ignored by the user.

At the moment, we basically have a double-viewer implementation:
simply vs fancy.  So we separate out

imshow(x) and imshow(x, fancy=True)

> agree to an extent. Nevertheless, I think providing a viewer that supplies
> *an infrastructure* for creating GUI tools might be really valuable. I
> haven't really thought through what this plugin system would look like, so
> it may just be a pipe dream.

This is a tricky problem (which set of tools to use, etc.)--but in
principle, it would be nice to have a few standard viewers, e.g.,
image compare, image compare + parameter adjust, mask editor (to build
custom filters, e.g.) and image inspector (like the one you and
Guillaume are working on).