Segmentation algorithms

Emmanuelle Gouillart emmanuelle.gouillart at nsup.org
Fri Jun 15 11:17:37 EDT 2012

Hi Andy,

we would love to have more segmentation algorithms! In addition to the
watershed, there is also the random walker algorithm which can be more
robust for noisy images, with weak contours.

Since I'm using skimage for processing mostly 3-D images (from X-ray
tomography), I'm strongly biased towards 3-D support. But in fact, it's
only worth implementing an algorithm for 3-D images if it's fast enough
and does not have too high a memory load, since the data are much
larger (nobody wants to wait one day for the segmentation of a
1000*1000*1000 image... whereas one minute for a 1000x1000 image might
still be decent enough in 2-D). About n-d I don't know. The random
walker, for example, works for 2-D and 3-D ndarrays.

Looking forward to your new segmentation algorithms :-)!

Cheers,
Emmanuelle