Oversplitting by watershed

Josh Warner silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 00:35:08 EST 2012

I can probably put something together.  What should the goal be?  Expand
the featureset of one algorithm, such that the other can be collapsed into
a wrapper function with no loss of backwards compatibility, or expand the
featureset of one and eliminate the other (carefully changing all internal
references to the old function)?

The latter might be the best/ideal world solution, but even if all of the
internal references were changed appropriately it could break 3rd party
code.  I would lean toward the former option, moving in the direction of
`is_local_maximum`, though this does appear to be the slower algorithm at
present.

On Monday, November 12, 2012 9:43:27 PM UTC-6, Tony S Yu wrote:

> [...]
>> a morphological structuring element, through the `footprint=` kwarg.  The
>> documentation for this could probably be clarified.
>>
>> The way `peak_local_max` excludes borders concerns me for general use, as
>> does its default `min_distance=10`, and personally I would prefer to wok
>> around the limitations in `is_local_maximum`.
>>
>> A best-of-both-worlds combination could probably be created without
>> overly much effort...
>>

> This is a great summary of the API differences. I agree that excluding the
> border region is a bit of a wart. (My guess is that this could be fixed by
> changing the boundary condition on the maximum filter used in
> `peak_local_max`.) Although I agree that defaulting to `min_distance=10` is
> arbitrary, I'm not sure there's an obvious choice. I would normally assume
> that peaks separated by 1 pixel are just noise.
>
> The footprint and mask parameter would definitely be a nice addition to
> `peak_local_max`.
>
> If you have time, a pull request to address some or all of these issues
> would be great. If not, maybe you could this as an issue on github?
>
> Thanks,
> -Tony
>

>> Snippet showing border-excluding behavior of `peak_local_max`, which will
>> only get worse with higher values of `min_distance`:
>>
>> import numpy as np
>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>> from skimage.feature import peak_local_max
>> from skimage.morphology import is_local_maximum
>>
>> # Generate standardized random data
>> np.random.seed(seed=1234)
>> testim = np.random.randint(0, 255, size=(20, 20))
>>
>> # Find peaks using both methods
>> ismax   = is_local_maximum(testim)                  # Boolean image
>> returned
>> peakmax = peak_local_max(testim, min_distance=1)    # (M, 2) indices
>> returned
>>
>> # `peakmax` not plottable - placing values in 2d array
>> Ipeakmax = np.zeros(testim.shape)
>> Ipeakmax[peakmax[:, 0], peakmax[:, 1]] = 1
>>
>> # Show the results
>> fig, ax = plt.subplots(ncols=2, nrows=1)
>> ax[0].imshow(ismax, cmap='gray')
>> ax[0].set_title('Peaks found by `is_local_maximum`')
>> ax[1].imshow(Ipeakmax, cmap='gray')
>> ax[1].set_title('Peaks found by `peak_local_max`')
>>
>> plt.show()

>>> Hi Frank,
>>>
>>> Actually, I don't think the issue is in the watershed segmentation.
>>> Instead, I think the problem is in the marker specification: Using local
>>> maxima creates too many marker points when a blob deviates greatly from a
>>> circle. (BTW, does anyone know if there are any differences between
>>> `is_local_maximum` and `peak_local_max`? Maybe the former should be
>>> deprecated.)
>>>
>>> Using the centroids of blobs gives cleaner results. See
>>> slightly-modified example below.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> -Tony
>>>
>>> # packages needed to perform image processing and analysis

>>> from skimage import measure