Coverage table on the website

Josh Warner silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 19:15:29 EDT 2012

I'm not a core developer, so anyone feel free to correct any inaccuracies
in this post.

   - I think most of the subsection "Image Types and Type Conversions" is
   now handled by various utility functions in `skimage.util` (like
   `img_as_float`).
   - There are now some registration tools available in skimage.

I see many other areas that are either included, or appear to be blind
attempts to translate Matlab functions directly.  I could easily write an
`imsubtract`, for example, but that functionality exists for any base 2D
ndarray!

Should function-for-function feature parity, even where this is not
particularly useful, be a goal?  That's what I get from this table.

A separate but related issue is reinventing the wheel.  NiBabel can
read/write most medical image formats, including Analyze 7.5, nifti, and
DICOM.  Other well-known packages do 2d static visualization very well,
load R files, etc.  I don't have an answer for this without either
reinventing many wheels, bringing over code from other projects (with
attendant licensing issues and updating with their codebase, concern for
backward compatibility), or adding dependencies to many other packages.

As a reformed Matlab user, I personally prefer the general Python way which
is *not* "everything and the kitchen sink" in one massive package, but more
pick-and-choose from a diverse toolkit for the problem(s) at hand.  But
that's just me.