Github repo renamed to scikit-image

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 22:40:39 EDT 2012

I noticed that the github repo was renamed, as discussed in a previous
thread <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/scikits-image/klaoJDyPQqQ>.
For those who didn't follow that thread, the second "s" in "scikits" was
removed. Right now if you go to
https://github.com/scikits-image/scikits-image, you get a 404 error.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's possible to have that repo
redirect to the newly renamed repo.

In case you're not familiar with how to rename repos, here's a short guide.
(This may not be the best way, but it worked for me.)

Rename main repo
================

To change your link to the main github repo (which I've named "upstream"
below):

   git remote rm upstream
   git remote add upstream https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image.git

*or* (SSH read/write):

   git remote add upstream git at github.com:scikit-image/scikit-image.git

*or* (read-only):

   git remote add upstream git://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image.git

Rename personal repo
====================

On your personal github repo, go to the Admin tab near the top right and
rename your repo from "scikits-image" to "scikit-image".

To rename your personal, local repo (which I've named "origin" below):

   git remote rm origin
   git remote add origin git at github.com:
your_github_username/scikit-image.git

where you replace "your_github_username" with ... umm ... your github
username :)

Alternative link renaming

Instead of `git remote rm/add` in both sections above, you can open your
`.git/config` and change all "scikits-image: references to "scikit-image".