GSoC 2013 Pre-roposal

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sun Apr 14 12:20:50 EDT 2013

Hi Raunaq

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Raunaq Vohra <ronvohra at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have never really contributed to an open-source project, so I'm very
> green (in fact, just finished with a minor bugfix, putting up a pull
> request soon), but I'm very eager to learn and I hope I can do so - in
> whatever capacity - over the next few months. At the very least, I hope to
> contribute more actively to this project and meet like-minded people.

We're always very glad to have new and motivated people on board.

My proposal for this year's GSoC is to implement image segmentation
> algorithms like the graph cut and normalized cut algorithms. I have a fair
> idea about the normalized cut method through a paper (Segmenting Point
> Sets, Yamazaki, Natarajan, Bai & Hasmann, University of California, Davis)
> and Shi & Malik's Eigenvector method and will study more about the others
> as well.

There's quite a bit of interest in implementing image segmentation
algorithms, so I suggest also having a backup project idea.  The ideas on
the wiki page are not the only feasible ones--so use them as guidelines,
but feel free to suggest others.

> I hope to find a mentor who can guide me with this. I would really
> appreciate it if someone could help with the same as I'm a little foggy
> about whom I should speak with.

The mentors for this year's GSoC will be Emmanuelle Gouillart, Johannes
Schönberger, Tony Yu and myself, along with any other interested members of
the team.  This mailing list is the right place to discuss project
proposals.

Thanks for your bug-fix PR.  It looks like that one was already done by
Johannes, but fortunately there are plenty of others where that came from :)

Regards