Image Feature Suggestion

Josh Warner silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 19:38:57 EDT 2013

I've found that within the universe of SciPy +extensions (like the various
SciKits, really anything that likes NumPy arrays) it's fairly easy to get
things to play nice without much trouble.

Interlacing algorithms from there with OpenCV, SimpleITK, VTK, and the like
are more of a chore. They all exist in their own worlds as far as internal
datatypes, syntax structure, etc. Nowhere near as friendly to hack together
(it can be done, with order(s) of magnitude more effort). However, certain
packages in the SciPy universe use these, usually wrapped such that the
user never sees it.  E.g. Mayavi uses VTK heavily, and Scikit-Image now has
a SimpleITK plugin for io - but they're wrapped to users only have to deal
with Python/NumPy.

In my opinion there is definite value in ports, though they should probably
take somewhat lower priority than new/novel work.