Test Failure

Ankit Agrawal aaaagrawal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 15:45:19 EDT 2013

On Friday, April 19, 2013 10:12:48 PM UTC+5:30, abid rahman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1 - I had send a PR on histogram backprojection. at that time travis build
> was successful.
>
> Then i made some modifications for PEP8, but travis build shows errors
> which i don't understand.
> https://travis-ci.org/scikit-image/scikit-image/jobs/6472929.
>
> But i haven't changed any functionality of code and it works fine in my
> system as good as old.
>
> 2 - Also, I didn't get the concept of writing of tests for my code. What
> actually the tests do and how should I write a good test code?

Writing test-driven code is a feature of high quality software design,
something that I learnt recently while contributing to open source :) .
Writing tests ensures that when new code is merged, no part of the previous
code is broken i.e the tests for the functions in the existing code ensure
that your contribution does not change the behavior of existing code in
anyway. Good tests are the ones that are easily verifiable by another
developers and are tested with small and simple data so that test time is
kept at a minimum, while still checking some important properties of the
functions( that you are adding). Maybe other experienced members in the
community can add more to this. Thank you.

Regards,
Ankit Agrawal,
Communication and Signal Processing,
IIT Bombay.