imageio progress

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 11:50:13 EDT 2013

I wrote a lot of image io stuff for my own projects before I became aware
of skimage. I spent some time thinking about how people could add and
maintain their own modules, and came up with the following:

io/
    __init__.py
    tiff.py
        read()
        write()
    png.py
        read()
        write()

etc. This isn't coded, it was just on my todo. Adding new formats is then a
matter of dumping in a file containing read() and write() functions, and
importing that in the __init__.py file. This results in very clean syntax:

io.png.read()

There could also be io.read() and io.write() defined in __init__ or some
generic name, e.g. io.auto.read(), that would call the right format based
on filename.

Thoughts?