GSoC 2013 : Idea Discussion

Ankit Agrawal aaaagrawal at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 20:33:55 EDT 2013

Hi Stefan,

section for such patented/non-free algorithms<http://docs.opencv.org/modules/nonfree/doc/nonfree.html>
.

> > I think a framework for handling features and descriptors like the
> opencv 2D
> > features framework might be something that skimage should have in future
> > considering the long-term.
>
> Could you describe what such a framework would look like and do?

I haven't looked at OpenCV's source code, but their features framework<http://docs.opencv.org/modules/features2d/doc/features2d.html>is organized into feature detectors, feature descriptor extractors, feature
descriptor matchers, which to me seems very clean and elegant, atleast in
terms of the API.

> > I think that the Blind Deconvolution and Face Detection(@Stefan : Can
> you
> > please confirm whether you meant Detection instead of Recognition in the
>
> I meant detection, and specifically referred to an alternative way of
> implemented Viola-Jones that would avoid patent restrictions.
> Alternative algorithms would also work, but I am not very familiar
> with the literature.

I will research more into these alternative methods.

> > Beatka has shown interest in Graph-Cut as well as Blind Convolution, but
> > think it would be better if someone tackles all the segmentation
> algorithms
> > together since the segmentation part of skimage needs many additions.
> There
> > was a lot of interest for the segmentation idea in the beginning, but if
> no
> > one is taking it, I would be happy to have that idea as my proposal.
>
> All prospective candidates are more than welcome to share their
> ideas/interests here, so that there is limited overlap.

I agree that this would be better.

> > What is needed to be implemented in Video Manipulation Framework idea?
> My
> > guess is that interfacing the current Video streaming
> functionality(input
> > either from webcam or files) with the currently implemented algorithms
> which
> > would also lead to development of Computer Vision algorithms in the
> future
> > in skimage. Can you please elaborate more on this idea, if possible in a
> > modular way? I request all the community members to comment their views
> on
> > these ideas soon as I plan to have my proposal ready by 30th. Thank you.
>
> I think I mentioned this in another mail, but it would encompass
> efficient reading, writing, seeking, and real-time display.  Long,
> long ago I wrote this for Octave:
>
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/video/overview.html
>
> I think we can definitely trump that by now in terms of functionality.

Umm...I am not sure I got the exact meaning of what you meant here, can you
please elaborate a bit? Thanks.

Regards,
Ankit Agrawal,
Communication and Signal Processing,