GSoC 2013 : Idea Discussion

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Sun Apr 28 16:47:30 EDT 2013

Hi Ankit

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Ankit Agrawal <aaaagrawal at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the feature detection idea, binary features like BRIEF, FREAK and BRISK;
> STAR corners, SURF and SIFT features need to be implemented(Currently, only
> feature readers are available for SIFT and SURF) .

We cannot have SIFT or SURF in skimage because of patent constraints,
but we are certainly interested in STAR (consensus).  The binary
features would also be a very good contribution.

> I think a framework for handling features and descriptors like the opencv 2D
> features framework might be something that skimage should have in future
> considering the long-term.

Could you describe what such a framework would look like and do?

> I think that the Blind Deconvolution and Face Detection(@Stefan : Can you
> please confirm whether you meant Detection instead of Recognition in the

I meant detection, and specifically referred to an alternative way of
implemented Viola-Jones that would avoid patent restrictions.
Alternative algorithms would also work, but I am not very familiar
with the literature.

> Beatka has shown interest in Graph-Cut as well as Blind Convolution, but I
> think it would be better if someone tackles all the segmentation algorithms
> together since the segmentation part of skimage needs many additions. There
> was a lot of interest for the segmentation idea in the beginning, but if no
> one is taking it, I would be happy to have that idea as my proposal.

All prospective candidates are more than welcome to share their
ideas/interests here, so that there is limited overlap.

> What is needed to be implemented in Video Manipulation Framework idea? My
> guess is that interfacing the current Video streaming functionality(input
> either from webcam or files) with the currently implemented algorithms which
> would also lead to development of Computer Vision algorithms in the future
> in skimage. Can you please elaborate more on this idea, if possible in a
> modular way? I request all the community members to comment their views on
> these ideas soon as I plan to have my proposal ready by 30th. Thank you.

I think I mentioned this in another mail, but it would encompass
efficient reading, writing, seeking, and real-time display.  Long,
long ago I wrote this for Octave:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/video/overview.html

I think we can definitely trump that by now in terms of functionality.