Making algorithms at least 3D, preferably nD

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 01:04:58 EDT 2013

Hi again Ankit,

I think this is all a bit off-topic anyway. The whole idea of making the
algorithms nD is to apply them to 3D volumetric data, not 2D+t. That they *
sometimes* apply to 2D+t is merely a happy accident.

But scikit-image is part of scikits, an "index of add-on toolkits that
complement SciPy, a library of *scientific* computing routines." (emphasis
mine). One of the goals is (/should be; @stefanv can weigh in) the analysis
of scientific images, many of which are 3D volumetric. And many such
algorithms can be applied as-is whether the data is 2D or 3D. This includes
filters, edge detectors, segmentation methods, convex hulls, and more.