Face detection

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Thu Mar 28 05:35:31 EDT 2013

Hi everyone

I've been interested in getting face detection into skimage for a
while.  This morning, Nathan Faggian reminded me that the highly
popular Viola-Jones detector is patent encumbered (yes, if you're not
careful you can use patented code in packages like OpenCV).  However,
the following link seems to suggest that we can work around that by
training our own classifier with different features:

http://rafaelmizrahi.blogspot.com/2007/02/intel-opencv-face-detection-license.html

If there's any interest in working on this, or if you already have an
algorithm available, please get in touch.