GSoC 2013 Proposal : Implementation of STAR and Binary Feature Detectors and Descriptors

Ankit Agrawal aaaagrawal at gmail.com
Wed May 1 13:42:38 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

       I have made the first draft of my proposal<https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/wiki/GSoC-2013-Ankit-Agrawal-Implementation-of-STAR-and-Binary-Feature-Detectors-and-Descriptors>and uploaded it on our github wiki. I would like all the mentors and
community members to review it and comment for any possible improvements
and suggestions.

       I have some of personal comments on it :

1] I feel that implementing all the four features is slightly ambitious and
implementing three of them would be the best. After skimming through
papers, this is the order of difficulty in terms of implementation :
BRIEF < STAR < FREAK < BRISK(most difficult)

2] As mentioned in the BRISK paper<http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~vgg/rg/papers/brisk.pdf>,
BRISK detector makes use of FAST detector<http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~silvio/teaching/EECS598_2010/slides/11_16_Hao.pdf>in the process. If it comes down to implementing 3 instead of 4 features,
it would be best that I implement FAST as the 4th feature instead of BRISK,
which would relax the timeline a bit and will give me more time for testing
and optimizing.

       I suggest all members to review and share their opinions on it as
soon as possible so that I can make the changes and upload it on
gsoc-melange site. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Ankit Agrawal,
Communication and Signal Processing,
IIT Bombay.