GSoC 2013 Proposal : Implementation of STAR and Binary Feature Detectors and Descriptors

Tony Yu tsyu80 at gmail.com
Wed May 1 23:50:49 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>wrote:

> Hi Ankit
>
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 3:16 AM, Ankit Agrawal <aaaagrawal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > @Stefan and Tony : Did you get a chance to go over my proposal,
> especially
> > the implementation timeline? I think that implementing FAST instead of
> BRISK
> > during the summer would make the timeline schedule better. I will
> implement
> > the BRISK after the Summer of Code. Your thoughts on this?
>
> The proposal looks good; I think we'll have a better idea of a
> realistic timeline once we start coding, but that seems like a
> reasonable estimate.
>
> I think it would be helpful if you could Google for some of the recent
> papers that compared many of these binary features, to see which work
> best, and then motivate which should be implemented first.
>
> Regards
> Stéfan

Hi Ankit,

My free time has been pretty limited, so I can only give a quick response.
The proposal looks good to me too. Here's a couple of feature detection
comparisons that may be useful for choosing between implementations:

http://computer-vision-talks.com/2011/01/comparison-of-the-opencvs-feature-detection-algorithms-2/

http://computer-vision-talks.com/2011/07/comparison-of-the-opencvs-feature-detection-algorithms-ii/

Cheers,
-Tony