GSoC 2013 Proposal : Implementation of STAR and Binary Feature Detectors and Descriptors

Ankit Agrawal aaaagrawal at gmail.com
Thu May 2 04:17:18 EDT 2013

Hi Stefan and Tony,

       Thanks for your time and feedback. I have referred to the following
links to compare feature detectors and descriptors.

1] Comparative Evaluation of Binary Features<http://www.cs.unc.edu/~jheinly/publications/eccv2012-heinly.pdf>
2] Comparison of Feature Detection Algorithms<http://computer-vision-talks.com/2011/01/comparison-of-the-opencvs-feature-detection-algorithms-2/>
3] Feature Descriptor Comparison report<http://computer-vision-talks.com/2011/08/feature-descriptor-comparison-report/>
4] Battle of Feature Descriptors<http://computer-vision-talks.com/2012/08/a-battle-of-three-descriptors-surf-freak-and-brisk/>

My conclusion about their comparative performance(time), quality(% of
correct descriptor matches) and implementation time are as follows -

Feature Detectors :
(best)FAST > STAR :: Performance(time)
(best)STAR > FAST :: Quality
Implementation time :: 3 weeks each

Binary Feature Descriptors :
(best)BRIEF > ORB<http://www.vision.cs.chubu.ac.jp/CV-R/pdf/Rublee_iccv2011.pdf>> FREAK > BRISK :: Performance(time)
(best)BRISK > FREAK >= ORB > BRIEF :: Quality(Averaging effects of Scaling,
Rotation and Viewpoint change)
BRIEF works best among the above four for Non-geometric transforms like
change in brightness and exposure
Implementation time :: Brisk - 5 weeks; FREAK and ORB - 2 weeks(provided
BRIEF has been implemented, see NOTE), BRIEF - 2 weeks

Note :: BRISK is dependent on FAST and ORB on BRIEF.

Based on the above observations and implementation time details, please
help me in choosing those that should be implemented during the course of
summer. Thanks again for your time and please reply as soon it is possible
for you because the gsoc-melange site is known to have gone down in the
past on the last day. Thanks.

Regards,
Ankit Agrawal,
Communication and Signal Processing,