Advice on basic operations: zoom, crop and splice

Adam Hughes hughesadam87 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 14:03:04 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm used to working with big images of lots of particles.  In the notebook,
I'd like to be able to look at a full image, and then at a zoomed in region
of interest.  A few basic questions come to mind:

 Is there a zoom/crop function or preffered approach to basic manipulations
of zooming and cropping, or would I have to do this at the numpy or
matplotlib level?  I saw that there's a rectangle function that probably
would be useful here.  Does anyone have any examples or personal code built
for doing some of these common manipulations?   Ideally, I want to take the
fastest approach to:

1.  Selecting a rectangular region of interest (ROI).
2.  Cropping or zooming in on this region, and storing the ROI as its own
array/image.
3.  If possible, removing the ROI from the original image, and splicing the
original image back together.  If this is possible, that would be amazing.
 This would allow us to effectively cut out regions of our images that are
obviously contaminates.

Thanks.