Advice on basic operations: zoom, crop and splice

Chintak Sheth chintaksheth at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 01:16:31 EST 2013

Hi Adam

On Nov 23, 2013 12:33 AM, "Adam Hughes" <hughesadam87 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3.  If possible, removing the ROI from the original image, and splicing
the original image back together.  If this is possible, that would be
amazing.  This would allow us to effectively cut out regions of our images
that are obviously contaminates.

Yes, this is possible. It is also known as Image Inpainting. There are two
algorithm implementations for the same, although they haven't yet been
merged.

Fast Marching Algorithm: (Fast, introduce some blurriness)
Here is the dev branch: https://github.com/chintak/scikit-image/tree/inpaint
PR for it: https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/pull/663

Exemplar based Inpainting: (Slower, very accurate for repeating patterns,
reconstructs using sample image patches from the image)
Dev branch: https://github.com/chintak/scikit-image/tree/inpaint_exemplar
PR: https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/pull/706

For the first one, a skimage.viewer plugin is also
there: ``viewer_examples/plugins/demo_inpaint.py``

Regarding your first 2 points, Josh shed some light on how you can do this
using `skim age.viewer`. An interesting thread regarding interactive image
manipulation in iPython notebook came up lately which might interest you:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/scikit-image/vrPzanJ42rs. I'm not
sure if you can select an ROI in the image, but that'd be worth checking
out. If we can't directly select a rectangular region then probably
defining 4 sliders in the widget: left, right, top, bottom, and moving them
around to select the ROI.

Chintak