large PyWavelets update, please test

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 07:04:23 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Stuart Mumford <stuart at mumford.me.uk>wrote:

> Hi Ralf,
>
> I realise the license is pants! We are making efforts to contact the
> author and persuade him to change it! ;)

The original author can't do this, you also need at least permission from
Torrence/Compo as well as from these guys:
http://noc.ac.uk/using-science/crosswavelet-wavelet-coherence. And maybe
also from A. Brazhe; can't check because the link to his site is dead. So
the odds you can get the license changed seem on the low side.

The reason we are looking at this is it has all the features my friend
> needed, so it seemed easier (at least from a getting work done perspective)
> to start with this code, which also happened to be a (far to direct)
> implementation of the IDL code he was having to use before.
>
> While it would be nice to build some or all of this into a bigger package,
> at the end of the day just having a decent Python implementation of the C.
> Torrence and G. P. Compo wavelet code will be yet another thing people
> don't need IDL for.

I just checked the Matlab code from
http://paos.colorado.edu/research/wavelets/ (I don't speak IDL) and it's
not a lot of code nor is it very complicated. What I would suggest is to
contact Torrence and Compo directly to see if they're willing to change to
a BSD license, and otherwise just reimplement the algorithm based on their
paper.

> Stuart
>
> P.S. I am a solar physicist and IDL is everywhere *shudders*

:)

Cheers,
Ralf