Operations on disk-based images

Francesc Alted francesc at continuum.io
Tue Oct 15 10:59:55 EDT 2013

Hi,

We are trying to deal with very large images (they typically do not fit
in-memory), and for visualizing purposes, I am trying to use some
downsampling before sending the bits to the graphics render.

Our files are typically in HDF5 (or NetCDF4) format, so the data on-disk is
accessible randomly (i.e. they support indexes a la NumPy), and I noticed
that the recently added `skimage.transform.downscale_local_mean()` function
(which is just perfect for our purposes) also works with these on-disk
arrays.  The problem is that the function takes *ages* to finish.  My guess
is that this is mainly a consequence of the fact that accessing data
on-disk without too much care about data locality, is much more expensive
than doing the same in-memory.

I suppose the only solution is to rewrite the algorithms we are interested
in so that leveraging spatial locality would be critical, but I wanted to
report that here just in case someone has some insight on what to do in
this case.

Thanks,

--
Francesc Alted