Postprocessing Book Scans/Photos

Danilo gezuru at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 14:39:07 EDT 2013

Hi all

Recently I stumbled upon http://www.booksorber.com/, a project that
postprocesses photos taken of books, so that they can be exported as nice
PDFs.

It's really a great idea, and it probably works nicely using high quality
photos with nice lighting, but there are some quirks (especially the UI!).
And as it's not open source, I cannot improve upon it.

That got me thinking on how hard it would be to implement the same thing
using Python. Then I found scikit-image...

Therefore, my questions:

- Do you know of similar attempts to solve the book scanning problem,
preferrably using Python?
- Can scikit-image already do such tasks? This includes book border
detection, text border detection, color balance correction, de-skewing,
finger removal and other things to make the text as readable as possible.

Unfortunately I don't know too much about image processing algorithms, so
I'd be happy about any pointers and suggestions.

Would be great if such a software could be created as an open source
effort. In the end, open source always wins :)

Danilo