ndarray subclasses

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 13:48:59 EDT 2013

On 22 September 2013 05:57, Juan Nunez-Iglesias <jni.soma at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Jaime Fernández del Río <
> jaime.frio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So a pixel replicated TIFF image has twice the resolution, as per the
>> above official definition, not the same resolution with twice the sampling.
>>

> Even in this case, what we call sampling/spacing is the *inverse* of that
> definition of resolution.

I think strictly speaking, the term "resolution" is a measure for
visibility of detail. The term is used a lot to simply denote the *number*
of pixels, e.g. 800x600, 1024x768, etc.  Spacing/sampling is really just a
a  measure (usually in mm) that specifies the distance between two pixels.
If you know the number of pixels, and the sampling, you know the image size
in physical units.

- Almar