Help with shape descriptors

Josh Warner silvertrumpet999 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:08:50 EST 2014

At first glance, regarding identifying RBCs from sickle cells:

You could do a binary fill holes operation and then subtract the previous
image from the result - you'd have only the small "holes" evident inside
normal RBC's shown in your example. Then remove any labeled regions in
contact with those holes.

You'll probably have a few spurious ones left over, and this might
accidentally remove a sickle cell here or there (can't see any in the
example, but I'm sure it's possible). However, with minimal tweaking this
would remove most normal RBCs from the thresholded image shown.

Speaking in the abstract sans example code, here, but it seems like you
could get pretty far this way.

I'll let someone else chime in about separating cells in contact.

Josh