Google Summer of Code 2014

abid rahman abidrahman2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 12:18:44 EST 2014

Hi Stefan,

1 - I just contacted *Eyal Ofek* from Microsoft Research, one of the
authors of that SWT paper.

*My mail :*

*I am Abid K, a graduate student from India. I have some questions
regarding your paper "Detecting Text in Natural Scenes with Stroke Width
Transform". 1 - Is it patented? 2 - Can I implement it myself and
contribute it to some Open Source image processing libraries like
scikit-image, OpenCV etc?*

*Reply from Eyal*
1.       Yes it is patented.
2.       I believe there are implementations of SWT or a derivative out
there.

*And on asking more details on second question, he replied:*
Your quest6ion is legal, and I cannot answer that - I'll send it to the
people that deals with patents.

2 - Regarding SIMD optimization : Is there any particular reason for less
number of SIMD optimized functions? Other libraries seems to spend a lot of
time on this.

Regards

Abid K.