Make Pillow a requirement

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 18:25:09 EDT 2014

@stefanv, despite the possibility of getting imread included in Anaconda, I
would argue that it's better to go with the most widely supported package
by default. Will you also campaign to have it included in Canopy,
NeuroDebian, Python(x,y), etc.?

@jjhelmus and I also looked into grabbing BSD-licensed, pure Python readers
for TIFF, PNG, and JPEG, and including them in our code, to fall back on
when none of the plugins are available. As I recall we found a candidate
for PNG but I don't remember continuing on the search for a JPEG reader...

Patrick, thanks for the input! Hopefully the Pillow package will be updated
in Anaconda soon! I would not be happy shipping a release with a
vaguely-supported workaround as a dependency.