Make Pillow a requirement

Jonathan Helmus jjhelmus at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 14:56:12 EDT 2014

The original reason for suggesting making Pillow a requirements is that
during the SciPy conference sprints Juan and I found that the unit tests
were failing when only the modules required for scikit-image were
installed.  I think parts of this should be fixed by Pull Request #1060
[1] which will make the matplotlib related tests skippable.  This was
compounded by the fact that the version of Pillow Continuum's provides
for windows is broken, and the version of QT they link matplotlib to has
some issues.  Let me do some additional testing and see if this is still
an issue, if it is I'll open a GitHub issue.

  If anyone is interested there is an MIT licensed pure Python PNG
reader at: https://github.com/drj11/pypng.

Cheers,

     - Jonathan Helmus

[1] https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/pull/1060