ANN: scikit-image 0.10.0

Jonathan Helmus jjhelmus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 10:43:47 EDT 2014

On 06/02/2014 06:01 PM, Michael Aye wrote:

> On Monday, June 2, 2014 3:11:20 PM UTC-7, Matthew Brett wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On Monday, June 2, 2014 1:35:11 PM UTC-7, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>
>         Hi Matthew
>
>         On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM, Matthew Brett
>         <matthe... at gmail.com> wrote:
>         > I guess it would be good to build them automatically next
>         time ... so maybe
>         > yes to include the scripts - should be only a few lines of
>         shell I think,
>         > once you've got the MacPythons installed.
>
>         I admit that I am out of my depth here.  Would you be willing
>         to help
>         us on this one?  Is it, e.g., possible to add a target to
>         setup.py so
>         that anyone on OSX can build these?
>

>     Er - I am not sure how that could sensibly be done in the
>     setup.py, because you'll need to follow something like the recipe
>     on the Spinning Wheels page, installing MacPythons, pip and
>     packages, then running ``$PYTHON setup.py bdist_wheel`` for each
>     Python.
>
>     You're welcome to a login to one of our Berkeley machines where
>     the basic setup is already done.
>
>         In the Travis-CI example, how does Travis get triggered? (I
>         presume
>         you don't commit to that repository each time you want to test
>         MPL?)
>

>     Actually, yes, that is how I / we trigger builds at the moment,
>     because we just got going with these megatesting things.  There
>     seem to be various options for triggering builds, including (I
>     suppose) making fake commits, but I haven't investigated very far yet.
>
> I just went through a quite painful learning process with all this,
> because the docs are quite scattered, with lots of old stuff mixed in.
> So I'd like to comment, in case you don't insist on the Travis build
> machinery to be MacPython (is that even possible, as Travis runs on
> Linux?), to speed things up IMMENSELY over using pip for requirements
> install, one can use conda for the env setup in Travis. It speeds
> things up, because pip doesn't store binaries and instead spends a lot
> of time compiling things (or so it says
> here: http://sburns.org/2014/03/28/faster-travis-builds.html). Find
> the instructions on how to setup Travis with conda in that link, I
> tried it and it works fine here.
> I did one thing different compared to that blog entry though: In the
> travis yaml I prefer to "script: python setup.py develop && python
> setup.py test", because that way I don't get a useless test run in
> case the develop install fails due to a bug.

Another option if you don't like making fake commits to trigger builds
is to use Travis CI's "Restart Build" or the Test Hook button from the
repositories Service Hooks page.  Only the repositories admin can do
this but it might be preferable to littering the repo with fake commits.

     - Jonathan Helmus