Can a skeleton be defined on a neighbourhood of 8 pixels ?

Jean-Patrick Pommier jeanpatrick.pommier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 08:24:02 EDT 2014

Hi,
Is it possible to skeletonize a binary 2D shape such that  its skeleton is
defined on a neighbourhood of 8 pixels?

When skeletonizing with  : *morphology.medial_axis()* , I tried two
structuring elements (se8 or se4) as mask :

se8 = np.array([[True,True,True],[True,True,True],[True,True,True]])
se4 =
np.array([[False,True,False],[True,True,True],[False,True,False]])

imK = makeLetterImage('K', 70)
skel = *morphology.medial_axis*(imK,mask=se8)
Ep_Bp, Bp_Bp, Bp, Ep = SkeletonDecomposition(skel)

The skeletons returned using se8 or se4 are very similar and look defined
on a neighbourhood of 4 pixels (left). To me, this is a problem when trying
to label the skeleton edges (right).

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-curcY_g5N9A/U5BfJdpe6yI/AAAAAAAAB0w/1PbxFHLHJ6s/s1600/labeling+edges.png>

Jean-Patrick
<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-curcY_g5N9A/U5BfJdpe6yI/AAAAAAAAB0w/1PbxFHLHJ6s/s1600/labeling+edges.png>