Detection of digits on a display

François Boulogne fboulogne at sciunto.org
Sun Jun 8 07:53:59 EDT 2014

Hi,

I wrote a blog post about the detection of digits on a display. It's
written in french (sorry!) there
https://blog.sciunto.org/posts/detection_nombres/ but the snippets talk
by themself.

My point is that it could be a pain to collect data from electronics (no
serial port...) and displays are everywhere, camera largely available in
labs.

Basically, the idea is to use scikit-image and then scikit-learn.
Scikit-image to isolate digits and make sub-images with each of them.
Scikit-learn to recognize the digits. A training of 3 example per digits
gave me a 100% success over 60 images. At the bottom, I show that it is
also robust to the superposition of two digits (because of a fluctuation
during the snapshot).

Best,

--
François Boulogne.